I think of all those years on the ballfields,
sitting on a bucket catching pitches,
teaching how to drive a javelin,
a discus, a shot through the air—
strength, form, grit,
and the quiet courage to try again.
Now my son‑in‑law steps
into the same career field
I’ve walked for forty years,
and that old familiar joy rises—
the joy of guiding someone forward,
of passing on what was once passed to me.
And I see in him a witness—
a man whose life coaches others
toward Christ without even knowing it.
That is the coaching I hold closest
coaching others toward Christ:
my family, their families,
the souls in CCD, OCIA, marriage prep—
hearts I’ve nudged toward grace,
toward truth, toward the One
who runs beside us.
Saint Paul says all runners run,
but only one wins the prize.
Jesus says a disciple, fully trained,
becomes like the Teacher.
Every act of coaching
is a quiet invitation
to run the race that matters
and grow into His likeness.
I pray that every word I write,
every witness I offer,
be gentle coaching—
a pointing in the right direction,
a whisper of encouragement
for a tired heart.
May we all keep running,
not to be the fastest,
but to be faithful—
becoming, day by day,
a little more like the Teacher
who leads us home.
Prayer
Lord Jesus Christ,
Guide my steps
to bring hearts toward You.
Let my words be gentle
and my witness true.
Strengthen those who run the race.
Shape us into
the likeness of Your Son.
And bless every soul
striving toward Your holy prize.
Amen
No comments:
Post a Comment